5 Potentially Dangerous Substances for Your Furry Friend in Your Home

This National Animal Poison Prevention Week (March 19 to 25), we are excited to bring awareness of the variety of everyday household products that can be incredibly toxic for our furry friends. Let us help you keep your pets safe!


#1: Medications

For any pet owners, one of the most lethal home risks to consider is their pets’ potential ingestion of medications. Whether it’s an entire pack of beef-flavored heartworm preventives or a visitor’s prescription pills, food-motivated dogs are particularly at risk for searching out and gobbling up these toxic substances before they can be stopped. In cases like these where you suspect your dog has gotten into medicine, contact an animal poison control hotline without delay – as medication overdoses have been known to cause fatal consequences in some unfortunate instances.


#2: Food

The kitchen is a tempting place for your pet and holds many delicious hazards. Chocolate, macadamia nuts, xylitol, avocados, unbaked yeast dough, alcohol, grapes, and raisins are the most common toxic foods that can cause serious illnesses ranging from kidney failure and seizures to alcohol poisoning and severe hypoglycemia in pets. Prevent your counter-surfing pet from helping you cook in the kitchen, and purchase a locking trash can to keep out inquisitive noses.


#3: Household chemicals

Ensure your pet’s safety by securing the following common household chemicals away from them, as ingesting large amounts of any one chemical can be hazardous:

  • Cleaning products
  • Disinfectants
  • Aerosol air fresheners and other products
  • Candles
  • Antifreeze
  • Windshield washer fluid
  • Paint
  • Glue
  • Nail polish remover


#4: Houseplants

Even seemingly harmless houseplants can be hazardous to your pets’ health. Lilies in particular are fatal if cats even come into contact with their pollen, and other indoor plants such as dieffenbachia, elephant ear and spider plants should also be avoided. Additionally, outdoor ivy and oleander must not go overlooked; both contain toxins that could harm animals in the home. To ensure you’re protecting your beloved furry friends from unintended ingestion of dangerous flowers or foliage, check the ASPCA’s toxic plant list before bringing bouquets indoors or adding greenery outside!


#5: Batteries and coins

Ingesting batteries and coins can be incredibly dangerous, as it can lead to metal poisoning. If the battery is chewed on or punctured by your pet, serious chemical burns may occur. Furthermore, if a battery is swallowed whole, there’s a risk of creating an intestinal blockage that could potentially be fatal.


If you believe your beloved pet has come into contact with a hazardous substance, don’t hesitate to call our team right away.